Friday, April 17, 2009

Welcome to the world, Logan David Busch!!!

We are so in love with our little one! After a long couple of days, Logan joined our family April 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM.




The induction went way smoother than I had anticipated. We checked into the hospital Monday night, April 13 at 7 PM. They gave me a pill throughout the night that helped me to get ready for the induction. This basically helped my cervix to dialate and soften over the night. It caused some minor contractions but I was able to sleep for most of the night due to the Ambien they gave me.

At 6:45 AM the following morning, I was started on Pitocin, which started the contractions. They weren't too painful and I was able to breathe through each one and Dave was a huge support through these.

At 9:15 AM my doctor came in to break my water. It was such a weird feeling. You could hear the distinct "Pop" and the gush of fluid. She noticed that Logan had experienced a bowel movement in the amniotic sac (called having meconium in the water) and, because of this, the Doctor informed me that right after Logan was born they would need to go check him out and clean out his mouth and nose.

After the doctor left, and within one minute, the painful contractions started. I was in agony. They hurt like nothing I had ever experienced. Dave was a huge help and kept reminding me to breathe but it was so painful. Within about 30 minutes I requested the epidural.

The anisthesiologist arrived shortly thereafter, and between 9:50 AM - 10:10 AM he placed in the epidural. It was so hard to hold still when he was placing this in during the contractions because I was in so much pain during each one.

Unfortunately, after the anisthesiologist left, I could still feel all of the contractions and we realized that I would need to have the epidural redone. The anisthesiologist arrived at 12:15 PM to redo the epidural.

After it was replaced, there was immediate relief. It was wonderful! I couldn't feel any of the contractions - all I could feel was a little pressure during each one. My mom had arrived by this point and she was so amazed with how I was feeling. I was able to sleep! It was awesome!!! My mom had 7 children and she had them all naturally - she thinks it is so cool with how far medicine has come and thinks it is amazing that women are able to get these!

Anyway, by 1:15 PM I was feeling so much better and was just waiting to let things progress. I was making a lot of progress and by 3:30 PM I was fully dialated and effaced and, at this point, we were just waiting for Logan to drop.

At 2:10 PM Logan's heart rate dropped and they asked that I wear an oxygen mask (I hated this thing - it made me feel like I was suffocating) but it seemed to help him out during each contraction. We later realized that the reason he was having a hard time was because the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck twice - poor little guy.

By 5:00 PM I could feel that Logan was ready to be born! He had definitely dropped and asked the nurse to check. She confirmed that we were, indeed ready! At 5:30 PM I started pushing. This was the hardest part of any of the whole labor process because I was already so exhausted at this point. Also, it was really hard because Logan's head was coming out sideways and also, due to the fact that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck a couple of times, with each push, even though I'd make some progress, he was pulled back up by the shortened umbilical cord. It made pushing very difficult. However, by about 6:20 PM the nurse felt that Logan was indeed very close to being born. She went to retrieve my Doctor and a whole team of staff entered the room (about 10 people). My sweet mom was on one side of me offering support, and Dave was on the other side. I could not have done this without either of them because I was so exhausted. I was so ready to meet Logan but really needed their constant reminder that he was almost there!!!

Once the Doctor arrived, I continued to push and she was noticing how difficult it was to get him through the pubic bone because of his sideways head. :) After she saw that it was getting to be a necessity to get him out (due to his heartrate), I saw her get out the episiotomy scissors and realized what she was about to do!!! This was enough to give me incentive to get Logan out! I pushed him out on the next push. Logan entered the world at 6:33 PM.

He was taken into the joint nursery, Dad got to follow along. They cleaned him up and assessed him. He received a 7 and a 9 on his APGARS. He was actually born pretty pink - my dad likes to say it was from all of the oxygen they had me breathing during the last 4 hours of labor and delivery.

Logan weighed in at 7 lb. 11 oz. (much better than the 8 lb. 11 oz. baby the ultrasound had predicted)!

I was finally able to hold my son at about 6:50 PM.



We had many wonderful visitors including: my dad (my mom was already there), my brother Jared & his wife Jeni and their kids, Jaydon, Janae and Jazlynn; my brother Ben and his fiance, Lexy, and later on my sister Heather and her husband Richard.




We are having a wonderful time with our little one. We are overjoyed with how much fun he is and how adorable he is! He is a precious baby and I could not have asked for anything more. I am so happy to have him in my life. He looks so much like his dad!!! He got his dad's facial features (especially his mouth and chin) - and his profile shot looks so much like his dad's! He got my hands and my funny looking Davis feet (but they are so cute on him)! :) He is so fun to have around!

We love you all & appreciate all of your love and support and we can't wait to share our little bundle of joy with you!





















5 comments:

Jessica said...

Yeah!!! He shares the same birthday as his cousin! My oldest was born on the 14th!!! Love all the pictures. Hope you are feeling well :)

Vudochki said...

I am completely thrilled! I loved reading your story how Logan entered the world! What a big day! Congrats!

Mark and Renee Davis and Family said...

Good Job Janae and Dave. I am so excited for you both. Both of my children had their umbilical cords rapped around their head twice...Scary.
Aren't epidurals the best, though. In Germany they are much more holistic and discourage epidurals. As you can tell I am in no hurry to give natural, hurtful, childbirth.

Erica said...

I'm so excited to meet you Logan, you are ADORABLE! I think that you look like your Daddy's! It's weird to think of my sister as a Mom now! I'm so happy for you guys! Aren't you so thankful for epidurals?

Erica said...

He is a cute little guy!!!! So it was all worth it all the wait and everything. We can't wait to introduce him to four of his cousins next weekend!!! Congratulations, I think he does look a lot like Dave.

BJ